I love Dahl. This Butternut, chickpea and lentil dahl contains spinach and a secret ingredient to give it a beautiful nutty undertone. It is packed full of dietary fibre and minerals and gets better after a couple of days in the fridge. Vegan, gluten free and really simple to make. I use tinned lentils in this recipe so no need to soak and cook for hours, and if you want an extra cheat, buy your butternut ready cubed. It is simple and quick enough to be made on a night when you get home from a long day and is the perfect healthy comfort food for a cool evening.
Butternut, Chickpea & Lentil Dahl. Vegan. GFPrint This
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Tin of Green Lentils - drained
- 1 Tin Chickpeas - drained
- 1 Red Onion - finely chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Half a Butternut Squash - cubed
- A Good handful of spinach
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes - finely chopped
- Half a Tin of Coconut Milk - the creamy bit from the top
- 200ml GF veg stock
- 1 Tbsp of smooth peanut butter ( I use one that is purely peanuts and peanut oil)
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Asofoteidia
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Dried coriander leaf
- 1 Heaped tsp Medium Curry Powder
Fry off the onion and garlic until the oil over a medium heat until soft.
Then add the dried spices snd the butternut squash and mix well so that the squash is covered in the spices. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and the stock, stir well, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Add the tinned lentils and chickpeas stirring in and then the coconut milk. Scoop a little of the sauce out with a spoon into a bowl, add the peanut butter and mix it to a paste, then add it back to the dish.
Cook the dish on a low heat for around 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Throw the spinach in around 4 minutes before serving up and stir well. Enjoy!