This super nutty stir fry is soul food. That is the name I give to food that nourishes you in a way that makes your soul sing! An array of colourful veggies, the inclusion of my favorite squeaky cheese halloumi (which is a great meat or fish replacement in stir fry dishes) and a beautiful satay style sauce make this dish both delicious and balanced.
A word on halloumi, it’s a little high in salt so moderate your intake, but on the plus side it is high in protein and calcium making it a fab vegetarian option for those looking for it.
Super Nutty Stir Fry. V.Print This
- For the sauce - Make this up first:
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 Tbsp Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1.5 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- A Dash of Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tsp Agave Syrup
- For the stir fry - A variety of finely chopped veg of your choice. I like to pick what's left in the fridge and chop them mindfully to chill out, but you might just want to grab a bag of 'good to go' ready prepped veggies !
- A Good slug of sesame oil
- 1 Clove of Garlic crushed
- Small knob of fresh ginger grated
- 1 Sweet Red Pepper
- 1 Bag Mange Tout, sliced length-ways
- A handful of Red Cabbage finely sliced
- 100g Mushrooms chopped
- Tenderstem Broccoli - a few stems
- 1 pack of Halloumi, cubed
- A handful or toasted cashew nuts
- Rice or Egg Noodles
Make your sauce up first by mixing all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Make sure you combine the ingredients well and set it to one side.
Brown your cashews in a dry frying pan and set them aside – watch carefully because they turn quite quickly!
If you are chopping your veggies, do so nice and slowly, and enjoy the colours and smells! Before you get your veggies on to stir fry, brown off the halloumi in the dry stir fry pan over a medium heat and set to one side. Then quickly pop your oil in the pan and fry off the garlic and ginger over a medium heat. Add the veggies and stir fry over a high heat for 4 mins or so before throwing in the halloumi and then the sauce.
Keep moving around the pan and cook together for another 5 minutes until the veggies are cooked to bite and the hallouni is warmed through. Serve up with your toasted cashews on top. It’s delicious!